Saturday 9 February 2013

Famous Ikan Bakar @Pasar Keramat

I don't normally frequent the Keramat or Kl area for no reason , kecuali ada kerja or sebab terpaksa. But today is an exception. We head towards Keramat because my maid wanted to buy gold. After 2 years of serving us she will be leaving home to Semarang , Indonesia for good next week. She wanted to use partial of her pay to buy a gold necklace for herself, i guess it's a wise investment. I am not a gold lover, i hardly have any barang kemas (jewellery)
for myself, the last i bought jewellery was in 2009, it was my wedding ring.

Even that i wanted to buy a necklace cause i don't wear rings, but my mother insisted because it is custom that rings are exchanged during the akad nikad ceremony(solemnisation). I settled for a diamond ring which we bought in Habib. Wore it couple of times only and now it sits in it's case in my room. Nevertheless the memories that i brings is priceless.

Our lunch at ikan bakar, pasar keramat.

Right, back to our mission to buy gold, a friend of mine Wan Zuraini (Wan Cha) owns a kedai emas in Pasar Keramat called Kedai Emas Wan Hassan. She is however now working in Kota Bharu, Kelantan. Her brother is mending the shop, i gave her a call and told her that i wanted to visit her shop, because my maid wanted to buy gold.
While we are busy looking and learning about gold from Wan, Kaseh found her own goldmine full of toys !

Today i learned that gold is very expensive. I remembered my mother bought me a gold necklace for my 16th birthday with my name engraved on it and i think those time it costs about RM 350, for something similar now is about RM 1000+. As of today, gold was priced at RM195 per gram. Kesian my maid , she managed to buy only one item, hopefully it will do her good in time of desperation.

After that, we took the opportunity to have lunch at the famous ikan bakar ( grilled fish) in Pasar Keramat . I was introduced to this place by my collegues when i was working in Jalan Semarak for a telecomunications company. I no longer work there, thus this is really an opportunity for me to introduce the place to Sol,Kaseh and Karimah. I don't know when the next time will be.

If you've never been there, the ikan bakar stall in situated right opposite the pasar basah ( in front of the fruit stalls) , there are other vendors selling ikan bakar , but this particular stall is always crowded. It's not that comfortable to eat here actually, cause it's kinda off hot and crampy. But if you are a food lover like me, you wouldn't mind. Bawak balik rasa tak sesedap punya.
Type of fish available- pari (stingray), kembong( indian macarel) and terubuk.

Other fish dishes are available too , like gulai lemak cili padi ikan merah ( red snapper in coconut milk) and asam pedas kembong and pari.

Tip 1- go for the Pari Ikan Bakar , it's their speciality, the fish is fresh and the sambal cicah is so yummy !

Tip 2 - ask for the gulai lemak ikan gravy and eat with white rice, great combination. Ikan pari is my favourite here.
Not all ikan bakar places offers fresh pari like this one.
Asam pedas kembung .

How to order - when you reach the stall , you must be slightly agressive in booking your table.2-3 other groups are also eye-ing the same table, if you come during peak time. Jangan lah kiasu sangat , but go for it if you see an empty table, don't wait to be serve. The kakaks there are too busy to attend to you sometimes.

Once you get your table, order your fish, it automatically comes with the air asam, sup and rice. If you want ulam and kuah lemak you must request.

The price is fairly reasonable. We had
1 pari bakar
1 terubuk bakar
2 kembung asam pedas
1 pari asam pedas
3 plates of rice
2 teh o ais
3 bowls of soup
3 bowls of asam cicah
And all thay costs us RM 53.

It would have costs me the same if i bought fish from the market and cook. We are happy and full , head home and took a half hour afternoon nap. What a bliss.

Warning - the ikan bakar meal might cause drowsiness, thus eat moderately and not highly recommended if you have a meeting or presentation after.

Opening time : Monday to Saturday 11am to 3pm only.

Read my travel adventures over the CNY break. Definitely the most unplanned and most budget but yet comfortable of all our breaks . I am looking forward to it , but a lil nervous, cause i don't know what to expect with this impromtu holidays.

Thanks for reading XOXO.

Posted via DraftCraft app

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of adventures for sure. No wonder your enjoying your travels. :) Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal, appreciate it. It's really nice of you to drop by :)

      Delete